Connect with us

latest

Fayemi Reveals How He Persuaded Peter Obi To Greet Tinubu At Vatican.

Published

on

Former Ekiti State Governor, Kayode Fayemi, has revealed that he persuaded presidential candidate Peter Obi to approach President Bola Tinubu for a handshake during the inauguration of Pope Leo XIV at the Vatican City in May.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

Fayemi made the disclosure in an interview on Edmund Obilo’s YouTube channel, which was released on Thursday.

According to him, Obi initially hesitated, concerned that the gesture could be misinterpreted in the media, but later agreed after some persuasion.

Naija News reports that the meeting first became public on May 18, 2025, when presidential aide Bayo Onanuga shared photographs of Tinubu, Fayemi, and Obi together at the Vatican ceremony on .

Onanuga had earlier stated that Fayemi noticed President Tinubu seated among world leaders and encouraged Obi to join him in greeting the president.

Fayemi, however, added more context in his interview, explaining that both he and Obi attended the papal inauguration as Catholics and had shared breakfast with Cardinal Lazarus before proceeding to the event, where they were seated a few rows behind Tinubu.

He said the moment that led to the approach came when Foreign Affairs Minister Bianca Ojukwu visited their section to greet them.

According to Fayemi, he saw it as an opportunity for courtesy toward the Nigerian leader.

He said Obi initially expressed concern that the act might be politicised or misrepresented, but Fayemi encouraged him to proceed, stressing that Tinubu was present as Nigeria’s leader at a global religious event.

Fayemi said Obi eventually agreed, and both men walked over to greet the president.

He recalled that he welcomed Tinubu and appreciated his presence at the Vatican, while Tinubu responded with a light-hearted remark, saying he should instead be the one welcoming them as Nigeria’s leader.

Obi also acknowledged Tinubu’s position during the brief exchange, describing him as their leader despite political differences.

Fayemi said the interaction was cordial and ended without tension, as all parties later went their separate ways at the ceremony.

When asked if it was the first handshake between Tinubu and Obi since the 2023 election, Fayemi said he could not confirm but noted that they did exchange greetings at the Vatican.

Advertisement

latest

Nigerian Youths Must Drive National Change Through Technology — Agboke.

Published

on

The Resident Electoral Commissioner of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Ondo State, Mutiu Agboke, has urged Nigerian youths to embrace innovation, integrity, and active participation in governance as key drivers of sustainable national development.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

Agboke made the call while delivering a paper titled “From Ideas to Impact: Harnessing Youth-Driven Innovations for Sustainable Governance and National Development” at a Leadership and Empowerment Summit organised by the Students’ Union and the New Dawn Administration of the University of Ilorin on Friday.

In his presentation, the electoral commissioner described Nigeria’s youth population as the country’s “greatest untapped development resource.”

He stated that empowering young people through education, technology, and inclusive governance would help strengthen democratic institutions and boost economic growth.

According to him, empirical evidence shows that young people can create significant economic and social value when they are given access to funding, mentorship, infrastructure, and innovation opportunities.

He noted that challenges such as poor educational alignment, weak infrastructure, limited financing, and brain drain continue to hinder Nigeria’s innovation potential and long-term development.

Agboke stressed that addressing these challenges is not just a social responsibility but a matter of national security and economic survival.

He referenced countries such as Rwanda, Estonia, South Korea, and Kenya as examples of nations that have achieved economic transformation through youth-focused innovation policies and strong institutional support.

He added that Nigeria has even greater human capital potential than many of these countries but lacks the discipline and political will needed to fully harness it.

Speaking on governance, Agboke commended the growing role of youth-led civic technology initiatives in Nigeria, citing groups like BudgIT and the Connected Development Initiative for promoting transparency and accountability in public administration.

He noted that digital advocacy and innovation have contributed to electoral improvements, including the introduction of the Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS) and the INEC Results Viewing Portal (IReV) during the 2023 general elections.

The INEC commissioner also referenced the #EndSARS protests, describing them as an example of how Nigerian youths can use digital platforms to organise peacefully and demand reforms.

Agboke encouraged young people to take active roles in governance by voting, monitoring public institutions, advocating reforms, and participating in electoral processes.

He further advised youths to develop both technical and interpersonal skills, stressing that innovation requires ethics, empathy, and effective communication in addition to technological ability.

Addressing the students, he urged them to identify societal challenges, work in teams, and develop practical solutions rather than waiting for perfect conditions.

He concluded by charging them: “Be innovative. Be courageous. Be audacious. Be Unilorite, not with knowledge alone, but with integrity and credibility.”

Continue Reading

latest

FG Moves To Tackle Heart Diseases, High Blood Pressure Through Salt Reduction Drive.

Published

on

The Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare has stepped up its efforts to tackle hypertension and other non-communicable diseases through a renewed sodium reduction campaign aimed at encouraging healthier eating habits across Nigeria.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

As part of the initiative, on May 19, 2026, the Ministry held a courtesy and technical meeting with the Kano State Ministry of Health to strengthen cooperation on the adoption and implementation of the National Sodium Reduction Guidelines.

The meeting brought together senior officials of the Kano State Government, led by the Commissioner for Health, Dr. Abubakar Labaran Yusuf, as well as representatives of the Federal Ministry of Health and development partners, including Resolve to Save Lives (RTSL).

Speaking at the engagement, Dr. Yusuf described sodium reduction as a timely and necessary intervention in addressing the growing burden of hypertension and cardiovascular diseases affecting Nigerians.

He stated, “The issue of sodium reduction is both timely and necessary, particularly in the prevention and management of non-communicable diseases, including hypertension and cardiovascular conditions,” while reaffirming Kano State’s commitment to adopting the guidelines.

Representing the Coordinating Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Mr. Femi Stephen of the Food and Drug Services Department noted that state governments play a key role in achieving Nigeria’s sodium reduction targets.

He explained that the National Sodium Reduction Guidelines aim to cut sodium intake by 30 percent by 2030 through a phased, multi-sectoral strategy involving public awareness, engagement with the food industry, and healthier food policy reforms.

According to the Federal Ministry of Health, excessive sodium consumption remains a leading risk factor for hypertension and cardiovascular diseases in Nigeria, making its reduction one of the most cost-effective public health measures.

The Ministry further emphasized the need for states to integrate sodium reduction strategies into primary healthcare services, school feeding programmes, food safety systems, nutrition interventions, and community awareness campaigns.

At the end of the meeting, participants agreed to strengthen collaboration by establishing state-level coordination structures, improving regulatory and legal frameworks, and promoting healthier diets to reduce the growing burden of non-communicable diseases in the country.

Continue Reading

latest

“Without God, Nigerian Navy Will Achieve Nothing” — Naval Chief Abbas Declares.

Published

on

The Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Idi Abbas, has stated that the Nigerian Navy would not have recorded its achievements over the past 70 years without God’s grace and divine favour.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

Abbas made the remark during a special Juma’at service held to mark the 70th anniversary celebration of the Nigerian Navy.

According to him, God has continued to preserve the Navy through periods of peace, challenges, victories, and difficult moments, while strengthening the force to carry out its constitutional duties effectively.

He said, “Without His divine grace and favour, the remarkable achievements of the Nigerian Navy over the past seventy years would not have been possible.”

The naval chief described the Nigerian Navy as a strong maritime force and a vital component of Nigeria’s national security structure, adding that the Service also plays an important role in supporting other African nations.

He noted that Nigeria’s maritime space remains critical to the country’s oil and gas sector, international trade, fisheries, and other major economic activities.

According to him, the reduction in maritime crimes within the Gulf of Guinea and Nigeria’s territorial waters reflects the resilience, bravery, and dedication of Navy personnel.

Abbas reaffirmed the commitment of the Nigerian Navy to supporting the Federal Government’s efforts toward national development and improved security under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda.

He also praised serving and retired officers and ratings for their patriotism, sacrifices, and dedication, which he said have helped transform the Nigerian Navy into a respected institution.

“Their commitment, professionalism, and loyalty have built a legacy of honour and excellence for future generations to uphold,” he stated.

The Chief of Naval Staff further paid tribute to fallen military personnel who lost their lives while defending the nation.

“As we celebrate our achievements, we must also remember with deep reverence and gratitude our fallen heroes who paid the supreme sacrifice in the defence of our nation.

“These brave men and women gave their lives in the line of duty so that Nigeria may remain safe, secure, and united,” he said.

He urged officers, ratings, and civilian staff of the Navy to remain committed to professionalism, discipline, innovation, and selfless service.

According to Abbas, the responsibility of moving the Nigerian Navy to greater heights rests on all personnel, stressing the need to continue strengthening operational capabilities to secure the nation’s maritime environment and contribute to national security and economic growth.

He also appealed to Nigerians to continue praying for officers and men of the Nigerian Navy and other members of the Armed Forces currently involved in operations across the country and beyond.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2023 NIVONEWS