Connect with us

latest

“My Own Security Chief Betrayed Me” – Gowon Opens Up On Shocking Coup Plot.

Published

on

Former Nigerian Head of State, Yakubu Gowon, has revealed that the military officer he personally trusted with his security, Joseph Garba, played a key role in the July 1975 coup that removed him from power.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

According to Gowon, Garba, who served as Commander of the Federal Guards Unit, denied any involvement in plans to overthrow his government just days before the coup took place.

The revelation was contained in Gowon’s 859-page autobiography, My Life of Duty and Allegiance, unveiled in Abuja on Tuesday.

The former military leader described the coup as one of the greatest betrayals of his life, saying it was orchestrated by individuals he trusted deeply and had elevated within the military hierarchy.

Gowon disclosed that his Chief Security Officer and head of the Special Branch, M.D. Yusuf, had warned him before the Organisation of African Unity summit in Kampala, Uganda, that some officers were plotting against his administration.

He said Yusuf specifically identified Garba and Anthony Ochefu, then Provost Marshal of the Nigerian Military Police, as central figures in the alleged conspiracy.

The former Head of State explained that the report placed him in a difficult situation because Garba occupied one of the most sensitive positions in his security structure.

“As commander of the Federal Guards, which is the elite entrusted with protecting the Head of State, Garba was expected to show unquestionable loyalty,” Gowon wrote.

He added that both Garba and Ochefu were not only trusted associates but also from his former Benue Plateau State.

Despite the intelligence report, Gowon said he confronted Garba directly rather than acting immediately.

According to him, Garba strongly denied any knowledge of plans to remove him from office and swore there was no such plot.

Gowon stated that he warned Garba that if the allegations later proved true, he would answer to God and his conscience.

The former leader noted that his suspicions deepened after Ochefu allegedly refused to return to Lagos, describing the action as deliberate disloyalty.

Although disturbed by the reports, Gowon said he still travelled to Kampala for the OAU summit because he had already committed to attending the meeting.

He explained that while at the conference on July 29, 1975, Uganda’s then leader, Idi Amin, showed him a Reuters report announcing that his government had been overthrown.

Gowon said early reports mentioned a certain “Colonel Darwa” as the officer behind the coup announcement, which he later suspected referred to Garba.

He admitted he initially found it difficult to believe Garba could betray him and even feared the officer might have been pressured into joining the coup plot.

The autobiography also shed light on Gowon’s personal life, including preparations for his wife, Victoria, before she became First Lady.

He disclosed that Mrs Efuntiloye Williams, wife of renowned accountant Akintola Williams, personally coached Victoria on etiquette, British customs and diplomatic protocol.

Gowon said the lessons were aimed at preparing her for public life and avoiding embarrassing situations as First Lady.

The former Head of State also recounted how his wedding to Victoria in April 1969 sparked criticism because it was held during the Nigerian Civil War.

According to him, many Nigerians questioned the timing of the ceremony, while newspapers ran headlines suggesting that “the war was raging while Gowon was marrying.”

The autobiography further chronicled Gowon’s early life, military career, the Civil War, post-war reconstruction, exile in the United Kingdom after his overthrow, and eventual return to Nigeria in 1983.

The book launch in Abuja was attended by President Bola Tinubu, represented by Vice-President Kashim Shettima, alongside former President Goodluck Jonathan, military veterans and several top government officials.

Advertisement

latest

“I Will Kill Anyone That Films Me” — Police Officer Sparks Public Fury In Viral Video.

Published

on

A viral video has surfaced showing a man identifying himself as a police officer, Newton Isokpehi, threatening to kill any Nigerian who records him while he is on duty.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

In the less-than-three-minute clip, the officer criticised the directive that allows citizens to film police officers during public operations, describing it as unacceptable.

Speaking in Pidgin English, he warned that he would shoot passengers in a bus if anyone attempted to record him while he was carrying out his duties.

He also stated that any senior police officer who supports civilians filming officers should be prepared to “bury” anyone who disobeys the warning.

In his words: “Any day I’m on duty as an officer while holding my rifle, let someone video me… I will kill anyone who films me on duty.”

The officer claimed he had served in the police force for 26 years and also complained about poor welfare conditions within the system.

He further noted that improvements were being made under the leadership of the Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, especially in terms of officers’ welfare.

The man also runs a TikTok account where he posts videos of himself in police uniform, with his name displayed on his attire in some clips.

Meanwhile, Nigerian courts have previously affirmed citizens’ rights to record police officers during public duties. In March, the Federal High Court in Delta State ruled that such recordings are protected under constitutional rights in a case involving lawyer Maxwell Nosakhare Uwaifo.

Similarly, the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Tijani Fatai, had earlier stated that citizens are free to film officers as long as they are acting within the law.

Continue Reading

latest

Three Aspirants Already In Race As Labour Party Sells Presidential Forms — Nenadi Usman.

Published

on

The National Chairman of the Labour Party (LP), Nenadi Usman, has confirmed that the party will present a presidential candidate for the 2027 general elections, with three aspirants already having purchased nomination forms.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

She made the disclosure on Thursday during an interview with journalists in Abuja shortly after the screening of aspirants for various elective positions.

According to her, while multiple aspirants have shown interest, the party is working towards achieving a consensus candidate for the presidential race.

Usman maintained that the Labour Party remains strong and united despite ongoing internal disputes and controversies surrounding the sale of nomination forms.

She also confirmed that the party has zoned its 2027 presidential ticket to the southern region of the country.

In her words, “We have decided as a party that our next flag bearer should come from the South. We are hoping for consensus, but whoever emerges will go through a thorough screening process. I assure Nigerians the primaries will be free and fair.”

She added that the screening exercise for aspirants across various offices is progressing smoothly and has so far been successful.

Usman further dismissed claims that the party is weakened by internal disagreements, insisting that the level of interest from aspirants shows Labour Party remains a strong platform.

She also expressed confidence that the Supreme Court would uphold its earlier position on the party’s leadership dispute.

On concerns about fake nomination forms, she warned members and the public to be cautious, noting that some fraudulent forms were being circulated by unauthorized individuals.

She said, “One man came here and showed me a form his wife bought, and it was not the form issued by us. People are being deceived, and that is not right.”

Responding to concerns about the strength of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), she stated that political power ultimately rests with God and the Nigerian electorate.

Continue Reading

latest

Breaking: Chinda Emerges Rivers APC Governorship Candidate After Fubara’s Shock Exit.

Published

on

The All Progressives Congress (APC) Governorship Screening Committee for Rivers State has declared Kingsley Chinda as the party’s governorship candidate following the conclusion of its primary election exercise in the state.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

Reports indicate that Chinda was announced the winner on Thursday evening at the APC secretariat after votes were collated from wards across the 23 local government areas of Rivers State.

Declaring the result, the Chairman of the Screening Committee, Bitrus Kwamoti, said Chinda secured a total of 268,497 votes to clinch the ticket.

Kwamoti described the exercise as peaceful and well-conducted, noting that party members demonstrated discipline throughout the process, with no major incidents recorded.

The announcement came shortly after the withdrawal of Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, from the APC governorship primary scheduled for Thursday.

Fubara had earlier announced his decision in a personally signed statement, saying it followed extensive consultations with family, friends, and political associates, while pledging support for whoever emerged as the party’s flagbearer.

Another aspirant, Tonye Cole, also stepped down from the race, citing the need to prioritise peace, reconciliation, and party unity.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2023 NIVONEWS