Connect with us

latest

Court Accepts Disputed Confessions In Jonathan Aides’ Jewellery Theft Case.

Published

on

A Bayelsa State High Court has admitted the confessional statements of eight former domestic staff of ex‑First Lady Patience Jonathan as evidence in the ongoing trial over the alleged theft of jewellery worth hundreds of millions of naira, despite claims that the confessions were extracted under duress.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

Naija News reports that the court conducted a “trial within a trial” to determine whether the statements were given voluntarily.

Sources present at Friday’s proceedings told SaharaReporters that the prosecution, after six years of repeated delays, has finally closed its case.

“After six years, they’ve finally concluded their prosecution. We are now moving to the defence,” a family member said.

The source expressed surprise that the court admitted the confessions, which defendants claim were obtained through police beatings and torture while in custody.

“Shockingly, the court accepted statements that were allegedly forced. Some were even drafted by police officers in 2019, and the accused were compelled to sign them,” the source added.

The defendants will now present their case at the next scheduled hearing.

The eight defendants are part of a larger group of 15 domestic staff accused of stealing jewellery from Mrs Jonathan’s residence in 2019. The number of accused was reduced following the death of Sahabi Liman in 2025. Current defendants include Williams Alami, Vincent Olabiyi, Ebuka Cosmos, John Dashe, Tamunokuro Abaku, Emmanuel Aginwa, Erema Deborah, Precious Kingsley, Tamunosiki Achese, Salomi Wareboka, Sunday Reginald, Boma Oba, Vivian Golden, and Emeka Benson.

The trial has faced repeated adjournments and frequent delays, with long stretches where no hearings occurred.

Torture Allegations, No Accountability

During prior court sessions, several defendants testified that they were abducted, tortured, and denied legal counsel while detained. Vivian Golden testified she was flogged after refusing to sign a confession.

Other defendants named police officer “O.C. Chris” and Chief Security Officer Colin Otutu as responsible for the alleged torture.

Despite these claims, no police officer has been investigated or charged in connection with the alleged abuse. Mrs Jonathan has not been summoned or questioned.

Defence lawyers, led by Ige Asemudara and Samuel Chinedu Maduba, have been accused of delaying proceedings through procedural tactics.

The drawn-out trial has already had serious consequences. In September 2025, Sahabi Liman, one of the original 15 accused, died after a prolonged illness. Liman had been granted bail three years earlier due to deteriorating health while in custody at Okaka Correctional Centre, Yenagoa, but his condition worsened, and he passed away in a Port Harcourt hospital.

Advertisement

latest

POLITICAL FIRESTORM: The Secret Blueprint To Unleash Total Chaos In Kano!.

Published

on

All Progressives Congress (APC) chieftain Abdulmumini Jibrin has alleged that members of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) are intentionally orchestrating unrest and turmoil in Kano as the 2027 general elections approach. This accusation follows provocative incidents where symbols like the APC broom and caps bearing President Bola Tinubu’s signature were set ablaze, prompting retaliatory burning of Kwankwansiya caps linked to NDC vice-presidential candidate Rabiu Kwankwaso.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

During an interview on Channels Television’s Politics Today, Jibrin asserted that the opposition is resorting to these tactics because they recognize they are facing certain defeat in the state, particularly within the critical Kano South swing zone. He emphasized that the opposition’s actions were a deliberate strategy to trigger a crisis right before the start of the campaign, assuring the public that the ruling party will not allow those efforts to succeed.

Continue Reading

latest

After Meeting Tinubu, Adeleke Visits Wike In Abuja.

Published

on

The newly re-elected Governor of Osun State, Ademola Adeleke, recently embarked on a series of political consultations in Abuja, starting with a visit to the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike. Lere Olayinka, the media aide to the FCT minister, shared a photograph on social media documenting the meeting, which featured Adeleke and Wike shaking hands while displaying the governor’s certificate of return.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

This engagement followed closely on the heels of a closed-door meeting between Governor Adeleke and President Bola Tinubu at the Aso Rock Presidential Villa, where the governor presented his official return documents and expressed appreciation regarding the recent electoral process. During their discussions, President Tinubu advised the governor to foster an environment of unity and refrain from marginalizing political opponents, emphasizing that winning an election represents a democratic mandate rather than a conquest.

Continue Reading

latest

Subsidy: ‘Demonstration Of Serious Ignorance In Governance, Economy’ – Tinubu Blasts Atiku

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has firmly criticized former vice-presidential candidate Atiku Abubakar, dismissing his recent proposal to reinstate the petrol subsidy regime as a fundamental lack of understanding of economic management and governance.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

Upon taking office, the current administration discontinued the fuel subsidy and floated the national currency to address structural economic imbalances. While these sweeping policy changes triggered widespread financial pressures and heightened the cost of living for average citizens, the government maintains that the reforms were essential for long-term fiscal stability.

Addressing critics from the Presidential Villa, President Tinubu defended the decision by highlighting its immediate impact on sub-national finances. He pointed out that prior to the intervention, numerous state governments struggled to meet monthly obligations to workers and retirees. According to the administration, the savings generated from ending the subsidy have since enabled states to consistently service salary arrears and pension commitments, framing the policy shift as a vital corrective measure for the nation’s broader financial framework.

Continue Reading

Trending