Connect with us

latest

Southampton Appeal Rejected As Championship Play-Off Final Goes Ahead.

Published

on

The ruling confirms that Saturday’s play-off final between Hull City and Middlesbrough FC will proceed as scheduled, with a place in the Premier League at stake.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

An independent disciplinary commission had earlier ruled to expel Southampton from the play-offs and reinstate Middlesbrough, who had lost 2-1 on aggregate to Saints in the semi-final stage.

Southampton admitted to spying on three rival clubs, including Middlesbrough ahead of the first leg of their semi-final clash, but appealed the sanction, arguing that the punishment was “manifestly disproportionate to every previous sanction in the history of the English game.”

However, the English Football League (EFL) confirmed on Wednesday, May 20, that Southampton’s appeal had been dismissed.

In its statement, the EFL said: “A league arbitration panel has tonight dismissed Southampton Football Club’s appeal against the independent disciplinary commission’s sanction following the admittance of multiple breaches of EFL regulations.

“The determination means that the original sanction of expulsion from the Championship play-offs remains in place, as does the four-point deduction to be applied to the 2026-27 Championship table and the reprimand in respect of all charges.”

The decision brings the matter to a close, with no further avenue of appeal available through the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Southampton described the outcome as deeply disappointing, acknowledging the seriousness of the issue while maintaining that the original punishment was excessive and widely disputed within the football community.

The club added that it would respond with responsibility and determination to recover from the setback.

Midfielder Leo Scienza also expressed his frustration, describing the situation as painful and emotionally draining for players and supporters.

He said the squad had worked tirelessly in pursuit of Premier League promotion and shared sympathy with fans of all clubs affected by the controversy.

Advertisement

latest

“I Will Kill Anyone That Films Me” — Police Officer Sparks Public Fury In Viral Video.

Published

on

A viral video has surfaced showing a man identifying himself as a police officer, Newton Isokpehi, threatening to kill any Nigerian who records him while he is on duty.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

In the less-than-three-minute clip, the officer criticised the directive that allows citizens to film police officers during public operations, describing it as unacceptable.

Speaking in Pidgin English, he warned that he would shoot passengers in a bus if anyone attempted to record him while he was carrying out his duties.

He also stated that any senior police officer who supports civilians filming officers should be prepared to “bury” anyone who disobeys the warning.

In his words: “Any day I’m on duty as an officer while holding my rifle, let someone video me… I will kill anyone who films me on duty.”

The officer claimed he had served in the police force for 26 years and also complained about poor welfare conditions within the system.

He further noted that improvements were being made under the leadership of the Inspector-General of Police, Kayode Egbetokun, especially in terms of officers’ welfare.

The man also runs a TikTok account where he posts videos of himself in police uniform, with his name displayed on his attire in some clips.

Meanwhile, Nigerian courts have previously affirmed citizens’ rights to record police officers during public duties. In March, the Federal High Court in Delta State ruled that such recordings are protected under constitutional rights in a case involving lawyer Maxwell Nosakhare Uwaifo.

Similarly, the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Tijani Fatai, had earlier stated that citizens are free to film officers as long as they are acting within the law.

Continue Reading

latest

Three Aspirants Already In Race As Labour Party Sells Presidential Forms — Nenadi Usman.

Published

on

The National Chairman of the Labour Party (LP), Nenadi Usman, has confirmed that the party will present a presidential candidate for the 2027 general elections, with three aspirants already having purchased nomination forms.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

She made the disclosure on Thursday during an interview with journalists in Abuja shortly after the screening of aspirants for various elective positions.

According to her, while multiple aspirants have shown interest, the party is working towards achieving a consensus candidate for the presidential race.

Usman maintained that the Labour Party remains strong and united despite ongoing internal disputes and controversies surrounding the sale of nomination forms.

She also confirmed that the party has zoned its 2027 presidential ticket to the southern region of the country.

In her words, “We have decided as a party that our next flag bearer should come from the South. We are hoping for consensus, but whoever emerges will go through a thorough screening process. I assure Nigerians the primaries will be free and fair.”

She added that the screening exercise for aspirants across various offices is progressing smoothly and has so far been successful.

Usman further dismissed claims that the party is weakened by internal disagreements, insisting that the level of interest from aspirants shows Labour Party remains a strong platform.

She also expressed confidence that the Supreme Court would uphold its earlier position on the party’s leadership dispute.

On concerns about fake nomination forms, she warned members and the public to be cautious, noting that some fraudulent forms were being circulated by unauthorized individuals.

She said, “One man came here and showed me a form his wife bought, and it was not the form issued by us. People are being deceived, and that is not right.”

Responding to concerns about the strength of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), she stated that political power ultimately rests with God and the Nigerian electorate.

Continue Reading

latest

Breaking: Chinda Emerges Rivers APC Governorship Candidate After Fubara’s Shock Exit.

Published

on

The All Progressives Congress (APC) Governorship Screening Committee for Rivers State has declared Kingsley Chinda as the party’s governorship candidate following the conclusion of its primary election exercise in the state.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

Reports indicate that Chinda was announced the winner on Thursday evening at the APC secretariat after votes were collated from wards across the 23 local government areas of Rivers State.

Declaring the result, the Chairman of the Screening Committee, Bitrus Kwamoti, said Chinda secured a total of 268,497 votes to clinch the ticket.

Kwamoti described the exercise as peaceful and well-conducted, noting that party members demonstrated discipline throughout the process, with no major incidents recorded.

The announcement came shortly after the withdrawal of Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, from the APC governorship primary scheduled for Thursday.

Fubara had earlier announced his decision in a personally signed statement, saying it followed extensive consultations with family, friends, and political associates, while pledging support for whoever emerged as the party’s flagbearer.

Another aspirant, Tonye Cole, also stepped down from the race, citing the need to prioritise peace, reconciliation, and party unity.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2023 NIVONEWS