Connect with us

latest

Police Open Murder Investigation After Death Of Nigerian Athlete Oluwabukola Pereira In America.

Published

on

Police authorities in the United States are still investigating the killing of Nigerian middle-distance runner and graduate student, Oluwabukola Pereira, who was reportedly shot during a robbery incident in Lockland, Ohio, only days before she was expected to earn her MBA degree.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

Pereira, aged 30, lost her life on May 8 at Arise Auto Centre located along the 500 block of North Wayne Avenue, where she worked as a cashier.

According to the Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office, the shooting led to a temporary shelter-in-place order as officers secured the vicinity and advised residents to stay away from nearby roads. The coroner later confirmed that she died at the scene from gunshot wounds.

Investigators have urged residents and business owners in Lockland and neighbouring Lincoln Heights to check surveillance recordings that may assist the probe.

WCPO Cincinnati quoted detectives as requesting residents and businesses to review available footage, including Ring camera videos, captured between 12:30 p.m. and 3 p.m. for any useful evidence.

Authorities described the suspect as a heavily built Black man who was reportedly dressed in grey sweatpants and a black sweatshirt or top, and may have been wearing a long black wig. The suspect was said to have escaped toward a creek behind the business premises.

Pereira competed for Nigeria in middle-distance events and enjoyed a career that stretched across local and international competitions. She recorded personal bests of 2:12.68 in the 800 metres and 4:39.57 in the 1500 metres, both achieved in Warrensburg, Missouri, in May 2019.

Her athletics journey lasted over a decade, beginning from the 2012 AFN Golden League in Port Harcourt to college competitions in the United States and the 2024 Portland Track Festival.

Speaking to The Punch, her grassroots coach, Rauf Abass, disclosed that Pereira had been scheduled to graduate on May 16.

Abass described the news of her death as heartbreaking, revealing that he and her longtime benefactor, Mrs Esther, personally informed her family in Nigeria about the tragedy.

He added that members of the sporting community later visited the family to sympathise with them.

“I tried as much as possible to coordinate her running mates. Some are no longer active in competition, but I brought them together to ensure everyone was informed and visited to offer condolences,” he said.

Abass further noted that Pereira was the breadwinner of her family, making the loss even more devastating, adding that he had spoken with her just the night before the incident.

A colleague, Don Simpson, disclosed that Pereira appeared to confront the suspect during the robbery.

“They called me and told me she didn’t make it,” Simpson said, expressing shock that the incident happened in broad daylight.

Her fiancé, Gbenga Showole, revealed that efforts are ongoing to establish a foundation in her honour.

According to him, Pereira was widely admired for her strong faith and deep commitment to caring for others.

Advertisement

latest

BREAKING: Fubara Withdraws From APC Governorship Primary Race.

Published

on

Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, has announced his withdrawal from the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship primary election in the state.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

In a statement personally signed on Wednesday, Fubara said the decision followed deep reflection and wide consultations with family, friends, and political associates.

He added that he would fully support whoever emerges as the party’s candidate after the primaries.

Fubara stated, “After deep reflection and extensive consultations with my family, friends, and associates, I have taken the difficult but necessary decision to withdraw from the APC governorship primaries.

“I do so with a full heart and with a firm commitment to support whoever emerges as the candidate of our great party.”

Continue Reading

latest

Troost-Ekong Issues Warning To AFCON Rivals Over Crucial Away Form.

Published

on

Former Super Eagles captain William Troost-Ekong has said that performances in away matches could be the key factor in determining which teams qualify for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

Troost-Ekong made the remarks following Tuesday’s draw ceremony in Cairo, where he served as one of four assistants at the Confederation of African Football (CAF)-organised event.

He explained that teams capable of securing points on the road will have a stronger advantage in the qualification race.

According to him, playing away from home is always challenging due to different pitches, environments, and playing conditions across the continent.

“Playing away from home is always difficult because you encounter different pitches, environments and conditions throughout the qualifiers,” Troost-Ekong was quoted as saying by CAFonline.

He added that while away victories are crucial, consistency throughout the qualification campaign will also be essential for success.

“Winning away from home is very important if you want to enhance your qualification chances, but consistency throughout the campaign is equally crucial,” he said.

Troost-Ekong noted that teams that manage to win difficult away fixtures will significantly boost their chances of reaching the tournament, describing the qualifying groups as highly competitive.

He also expressed excitement about the upcoming qualifiers and the tournament itself.

The AFCON 2027 qualification series will begin during the FIFA international window from September 21 to October 6, 2026, with the first two matchdays scheduled to be played.

Matchdays three and four will take place between November 9 and 17, 2026, while the final round of fixtures is set for March 22 to 30, 2027, when all qualified teams will be confirmed.

The 2027 Africa Cup of Nations will be co-hosted by Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania.

Continue Reading

entertainment

Tiwa Savage Opens Up: “I Miss Running To Don Jazzy’s Room To Cry”.

Published

on

Nigerian singer Tiwa Savage has revealed that she only fully understood the importance of a record label to an artist’s mental health after leaving Mavin Records.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

The singer, who joined Mavin Records in 2012 and exited in 2019 before signing with Universal Music Group, said she still considers Mavin family despite her departure.

Speaking on the Afrobeats Intelligence podcast with Joey Akan, Tiwa Savage explained that the kind of support system an artist has within a label can significantly affect their emotional wellbeing.

She recalled her time at Mavin Records, saying she often turned to label boss Don Jazzy and other artistes during difficult moments, especially when facing online controversies.

According to her, she would sometimes break down emotionally and find comfort within the label environment, which felt like a family setting.

However, she noted that her experience with an international label has been different, as such personal support systems are not as available.

She stressed the need for artists to carefully consider whether a record label genuinely cares about their wellbeing or simply views them as business assets.

Tiwa Savage said, “Who you signed to is very important and I didn’t appreciate it until after I left Mavin. Whenever there’s a controversy online I’d run to Don Jazzy’s room, sit on the floor or bed with other Mavin acts and we would talk about it. I would cry if I had to cry and we would get through it.

“But being with a [foreign] label, they don’t really care about your personal stuff. So, I can’t really go to the Empire office and cry. I miss that part.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2023 NIVONEWS