Connect with us

latest

Ex-Minister Sadiya’s Location Revealed As Arrest Warrant Sparks Fresh Drama.

Published

on

Counsel to former Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Social Development, Sadiya Umar Farouq, has informed the Federal Capital Territory High Court in Apo that his client is currently in Egypt receiving medical treatment and is medically unfit to appear for arraignment.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

Farouq, alongside Bashir Nura Alkali, a permanent secretary in the ministry, and Sani Mohammed, is facing a 21-count charge filed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

The charges involve alleged breach of trust and abuse of office linked to about $1.3 million and ₦746.6 million.

During proceedings on Monday, EFCC counsel, Rotimi Jacobs (SAN), reminded the court that a bench warrant had earlier been issued against Farouq after she failed to appear in court.

He also informed the court that the second defendant had since surrendered to the commission and requested that the warrant against him be withdrawn while the one against Farouq remained in force.

Responding, Farouq’s lawyer, Oladipo Okpesheyi, said the former minister was undergoing treatment in Egypt based on medical advice.

According to him, a medical report received from her doctors indicated that she was currently hospitalised and would require about two months to recover before returning to Nigeria.

He appealed to the court for an adjournment to allow her complete her treatment.

Justice Jude Onwuegbuzie, however, expressed concern over the delay in the case and warned that stricter measures could be taken if the former minister fails to appear at the next hearing.

The court subsequently ruled that the arrest warrant against Farouq would remain in effect and adjourned the matter until June 8, 2026, for arraignment.

Advertisement

latest

Tension In The North As Atiku, Kwankwaso Political Moves Split Supporters Ahead Of 2027.

Published

on

Voters and political stakeholders across northern Nigeria have expressed mixed reactions over emerging political realignments ahead of the 2027 presidential election.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

The debate follows growing speculation that former Vice President Atiku Abubakar and former Kano State Governor, Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, may not be on the same political platform in the upcoming election.

Reports also suggest possible alliance talks involving the 2023 Labour Party presidential candidate, Peter Obi, and Kwankwaso, while Atiku is expected to pursue his ambition independently with a yet-to-be-announced running mate.

Although the election is still months away, early political movements are already shaping discussions across the country, particularly in the North, where the potential split between Atiku and Kwankwaso could significantly influence voting patterns.

Some political analysts believe Atiku’s widespread influence across northern states gives him an edge, while others argue that a possible Obi–Kwankwaso alliance could reshape traditional voting blocs if supported by a strong coalition.

An African Democratic Congress (ADC) chieftain, Adnan Mukhtar Tudun Wada, said northern voters may become divided due to competing interests and emerging alliances.

He argued that Kwankwaso’s influence is largely concentrated in Kano State, while Atiku enjoys broader support across several northern states.

According to him, the possible inclusion of Peter Obi in an alliance could weaken Kwankwaso’s appeal in parts of the North, where some voters remain sceptical due to perceptions from the 2023 elections.

He also suggested that dissatisfaction with the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) could push voters toward a northern candidate, although Kwankwaso’s role as a potential running mate might reduce enthusiasm among some of his supporters.

In contrast, the Kano Obidient Coordinator, Barrister Ibrahim Muhammad, said the voting pattern in 2027 could differ significantly from that of 2023.

He argued that a possible Obi–Kwankwaso alliance could attract broader support across the North, especially if backed by a strong opposition coalition.

Muhammad added that voting behaviour would depend on candidates’ home-base strength, running mates, and voters’ perception of who has the strongest chance of defeating President Bola Tinubu.

He also pointed to ongoing discussions among opposition parties about forming a wider coalition ahead of the election, suggesting that such a merger could strengthen the opposition’s chances in several regions.

However, some political voices, including activist Mamman Buhari, dismissed both Atiku and Kwankwaso, accusing them of prioritising personal ambition over collective political interest.

He criticised Kwankwaso’s alignment with Obi and questioned Atiku’s long-standing presidential ambition, saying both politicians should reconsider their roles ahead of 2027.

Continue Reading

latest

APC Chieftain Basiru Dismisses Opposition Coalition Ahead Of 2027 Polls.

Published

on

The National Secretary of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Ajibola Basiru, has dismissed coalition groups opposing the ruling party ahead of the 2027 elections, saying they lack electoral credibility and achievements.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

Reports indicate that Basiru made the remarks during an interview on ARISE Television, where he described the emerging coalitions as political distractions rather than viable alternatives.

He maintained that any politician serious about winning elections must align with the APC, which he described as the country’s most dominant political structure.

According to him, apart from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), the APC remains the only party with proven success in national elections.

Basiru stated that many of the groups calling themselves coalitions have not demonstrated real electoral strength, insisting they are yet to convince Nigerians of their viability.

He said, “Aside from the PDP, APC remains the strongest political machinery for winning elections in Nigeria today.

“Many of the groups calling themselves coalitions are yet to prove themselves as credible electoral forces, and for now, they appear more like political distractions than serious alternatives.”

He also referenced the formation of the APC in 2013 through a merger of major opposition parties, which later led to the party’s historic victory in 2015 when Muhammadu Buhari defeated then-incumbent President Goodluck Jonathan.

The APC was formed through the alliance of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), Congress for Progressive Change (CPC), and All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP), which came together on a reform and change agenda.

Continue Reading

latest

“Why Is His Fourth Term A Problem?” – Emeka Rollas Fires Back At Critics Of Desmond Elliot.

Published

on

Former President of the Actors Guild of Nigeria (AGN), Emeka Rollas, has expressed support for Desmond Elliot’s ambition to secure a fourth term in the Lagos State House of Assembly.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

Reports indicate that Elliot, who represents Surulere Constituency I, recently alleged pressure ahead of the All Progressives Congress (APC) direct primaries scheduled for May 20, claiming that some of his supporters were being intimidated and that his security details had been withdrawn.

Reacting via Instagram, Rollas publicly backed the lawmaker’s re-election bid, insisting that Elliot should be allowed to continue in office for another term.

He argued that several lawmakers at both state and federal levels have served multiple terms, questioning why Elliot’s fourth-term ambition is being treated differently.

Rollas also called for a free and fair primary election within the APC, stressing that Elliot should be allowed to contest without interference.

He further appealed to the Chief of Staff to the President, Femi Gbajabiamila, urging him to forgive Elliot over any past disagreements and support reconciliation.

In his words, he wrote: “I lend my voice to Hon Desmond Elliott who in my own opinion deserves a 4th term. I lived in Surulere from 1993 to 2023 and I can testify that all serving reps both Federal and State have served more term than Desmond so why the issue about his 4th term bid?

“Allow a free and fair direct primaries and let’s see if he won’t get the ticket 💯💯💯💯💯💯💯 @desmondelliot @speakergbaja Sir Desmond is your boy he has apologized please pardon him let’s let this be a last warning sir.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2023 NIVONEWS