Connect with us

latest

“Police Move Into Action As Viral Oyo Kidnap Video Undergoes Forensic Review”.

Published

on

The Oyo State Police Command has confirmed that it is currently analysing a viral video connected to Friday’s abduction of pupils, students, and staff in Oriire Local Government Area of the state.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

The footage, which has been widely shared on social media, is believed to be linked to the attacks on schools in Yawota and Esiele communities.

In a statement issued on Sunday, the Police Public Relations Officer, Olayinka Ayanlade, said the video had been received and was undergoing forensic examination.

According to him, “Consequently, the footage is presently undergoing comprehensive forensic examination to determine its authenticity and further aid ongoing investigations, rescue operations, as well as the identification and arrest of the perpetrators behind the heinous act.”

The police explained that the analysis of the video forms part of ongoing efforts to track down the attackers and secure the release of the abducted victims.

Naija News reports that the attack occurred on Friday when armed men stormed schools in Oriire Local Government Area, including Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota, and Community Grammar School/L.A. Primary School, Esiele.

Preliminary police findings indicated that the attackers arrived on motorcycles and carried out coordinated assaults on the schools, abducting pupils, students, and staff members, including the Vice Principal, Alamu Folawe.

The assailants were also said to have stolen a Toyota Corolla belonging to the vice principal before setting it ablaze along a road leading into the forest.

The police had earlier confirmed that no pupil or student was reported killed at the time of the initial assessment, although an assistant headmaster identified as Adesiyan and a commercial motorcyclist lost their lives during the attack.

Ayanlade said the command, in collaboration with other security agencies, was intensifying efforts to ensure the safe rescue of all abducted persons.

He stated, “Following the commencement of these investigative procedures, the command reassures residents of its unwavering commitment towards ensuring the safe return and reunification of all abducted persons with their families.”

He added that intelligence-driven operations and tactical deployments were ongoing across the affected communities to rescue the victims and apprehend the perpetrators.

The Commissioner of Police in Oyo State, Abimbola Ayodeji Olugbenga, had earlier visited the affected communities alongside other security heads for an on-the-spot assessment and operational coordination.

Meanwhile, the Oyo State Government has also moved to reassure residents, urging calm amid growing tension.

Deputy Governor Adebayo Lawal led a government delegation to Yawota and Esiele on Sunday, where he met families of victims and assured them that efforts were underway to rescue the abducted individuals.

Lawal said security forces had already engaged the suspected kidnappers in the forest and were making progress in ongoing operations.

He added, “We have pacified the residents and given assurances that those abducted will be rescued and brought back.”

He, however, noted that the exact number of abducted persons had yet to be confirmed.

“Until we do proper verification, we cannot put a figure to those abducted. For now, figures circulating in the media cannot be taken as correct,” he said.

The deputy governor confirmed that security agencies, including the police, DSS, NSCDC, military personnel, and local hunters, were still combing the forest in search of the attackers.

Residents were also urged to avoid spreading unverified information that could heighten panic or be exploited by criminal elements.

Ayanlade warned, “Members of the public are equally advised to refrain from sharing unverified information, misleading content, or materials capable of heightening tension and creating unnecessary panic.”

He encouraged anyone with useful information to report to the nearest security agency to assist ongoing rescue and investigative efforts.

The police reiterated their commitment to securing the safe return of all victims and ensuring that those responsible are brought to justice.

Advertisement

latest

Peter Obi Emerges Sole Presidential Aspirant Of NDC Ahead Of 2027 Race.

Published

on

Former Anambra State Governor, Peter Obi, has emerged as the only presidential aspirant of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC) following the closure of the sale of Expression of Interest and Nomination Forms for the 2027 presidential ticket.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

Sources confirmed that Obi was the only candidate who purchased the presidential nomination forms before the deadline set by the party.

While the presidential form sale has been closed, the party announced a one-week extension for aspirants seeking positions in other categories, including governorship, Senate, House of Representatives, and State Houses of Assembly.

According to the NDC National Secretary, Ikenna Morgan Enekweizu, the earlier deadline of May 17, 2026, has been extended to May 24, 2026, to allow more aspirants to complete their applications for non-presidential offices.

He clarified that the extension does not apply to the presidential ticket, which has already been concluded.

The party’s timetable shows that screening of aspirants will begin on May 19 and end on May 26, 2026, while the collection and submission of nomination forms for cleared candidates will run from May 20 to May 26.

The NDC warned that no further extension will be granted and urged all aspirants to strictly comply with the outlined guidelines and deadlines.

All candidates are required to appear for screening with necessary documents, including academic certificates, birth records or age declarations, passport photographs, voter’s card, party membership card, and curriculum vitae, with all submissions to be made in six copies.

The party said screening will be based on factors such as electorate preference, competence, character, local considerations, and inclusiveness, with special attention to women, youths, and persons with disabilities.

It also encouraged consensus-building among aspirants, stating that only those cleared through the screening process will be eligible for nomination forms.

With this development, Obi—who recently joined the NDC from the African Democratic Congress (ADC)—is widely expected to emerge as the party’s consensus presidential candidate.

Continue Reading

latest

EFCC Under Fire As Agency Orders Apology Over Alleged Uyo Hospital Invasion.

Published

on

The Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ola Olukoyede, has directed that an official apology be issued to the University of Uyo Teaching Hospital (UUTH) following allegations of an invasion by operatives of the commission and the reported humiliation of a Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon, Prof. Eyo Ekpe.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

The incident, according to reports, involved EFCC operatives allegedly storming the hospital premises and disrupting activities, an action that sparked widespread condemnation from the medical community.

The Association of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgeons of Nigeria (ACTSON) described the development as disturbing and unacceptable, warning that it could undermine confidence in healthcare institutions.

In a statement jointly signed by its President, Abubakar Umar, and Secretary-General, Salisu Ismail, the association said the incident created panic within the hospital and disrupted critical medical services.

It noted that Prof. Ekpe played a key role in establishing the Cardiothoracic Surgery Unit at UUTH, providing lifesaving services to patients in Akwa Ibom State and surrounding areas.

ACTSON further condemned the alleged public handling of the senior surgeon and other staff, describing it as degrading and capable of demoralising healthcare workers.

While acknowledging the statutory role of law enforcement agencies, the association stressed that such operations must be conducted with professionalism, restraint, and respect for sensitive environments like hospitals.

Reacting to the controversy, EFCC Chairman Ola Olukoyede said the commission would tender an apology to address concerns raised by the medical community and members of the public affected by the incident.

He expressed regret over the episode, noting that it did not reflect the standards expected of the agency, and confirmed that a full investigation had been ordered.

Olukoyede added that any officer found to have acted outside approved professional conduct would face internal disciplinary action after the investigation.

He also assured stakeholders that the EFCC would work with relevant institutions to prevent a repeat of such occurrences, while reaffirming the agency’s commitment to fighting economic and financial crimes across the country.

Continue Reading

latest

Accord Raises Alarm, Says Attack On Adeleke’s Office Happened Under Security Agencies’ Watch.

Published

on

The Accord Party (AP) has strongly condemned the attack on Imole House, the campaign office and party secretariat of Governor Ademola Adeleke, located in Osogbo, Osun State.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

It was gathered that the incident occurred on Sunday night in Osogbo, marking the second attack on the facility within two weeks by suspected thugs.

The attackers reportedly fired gunshots at the building, shattering glass windows and damaging several offices, including that of the Accord State Chairman, Victor Akande. A suspicious inscription on the wall reading, “Say No to automatic ticket,” was also discovered at the scene, suggesting a possible warning message.

In a statement signed by its National Chairman, Maxwell Mgbuden, the Accord Party said it had earlier alerted security agencies about alleged plans by political actors to deploy thugs to disrupt peace in the state ahead of the August 15, 2026 governorship election.

The party expressed shock that the attack still occurred despite those warnings, insisting it happened under the watch of security operatives.

Accord called on the Inspector General of Police and the Director-General of the DSS to immediately track down and prosecute those responsible, as well as their alleged sponsors. It also urged authorities to deploy adequate security around Imole House and other strategic locations to prevent further attacks.

The party condemned what it described as “garrison politics,” stressing that politics should be based on ideas rather than violence. It further alleged that opposition elements were behind efforts to destabilise the state through violent means.

Accord maintained that Governor Adeleke has performed well and deserves a second term, adding that the people of Osun State are prepared to vote for continuity in the coming election.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2023 NIVONEWS