Connect with us

latest

Makinde Begins Oyo At 50 Festivities, Alaafin & Soun Not In Attendance

Published

on

Two of Oyo State’s top monarchs, the Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Akeem Owoade, and the Soun of Ogbomoso, Oba Olaoye Ghandi, were notably absent at the official launch of the state’s 50th anniversary celebrations on Monday.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

The ceremony, held at the International Conference Centre, University of Ibadan, drew former governors’ families, traditional rulers, political leaders, religious figures, and senior government officials.

However, the empty seats reserved for the Alaafin and Soun sparked reactions, particularly amid ongoing debates over the rotational leadership of the Oyo State Council of Obas.

Governor Seyi Makinde had recently inaugurated the Olubadan of Ibadan, Oba Rashidi Ladoja, as council chairman and introduced a new rotational leadership system, which previously saw the Alaafin hold the position permanently. While Makinde claimed the arrangement had the support of both monarchs, the Alaafin denied any involvement in such discussions, making Monday’s event the first major state function since the controversy.

Makinde Marks Anniversary with Keynote, Cake Cutting
Despite the absence of the two traditional rulers, the celebration went on, with Governor Makinde delivering a keynote address and cutting the state’s golden jubilee cake.

He highlighted his administration’s priorities, including economic transformation, job creation, attracting investment, and promoting inclusive development.

“The next 50 years must bring greater prosperity, fairness, dignity, and hope for all our citizens,” Makinde said.

The governor also paid tribute to former Governor Bola Ige, noting his commitment to free education and equal opportunity, which shaped Oyo State’s governance philosophy. Additionally, Makinde unveiled a digital tribute platform, showcasing residents’ stories of resilience, enterprise, and opportunity.

“These are not just tributes—they are evidence of hope, enterprise, and belonging,” he added, citing a youth corps member who invested his NYSC allowance in fashion design training.

Reflections on Legacy and Statebuilding
Saheed Fijabi, chairman of the anniversary planning committee and former House of Reps member, stressed the importance of celebrating Oyo’s past while committing to its future.

Oba Rashidi Ladoja, Olubadan of Ibadan and newly appointed council chairman, urged the government to honour unsung heroes and past leaders, including Chief Kolapo Ishola, Ahmed Gbadamosi, and Otunba Adebayo Alao-Akala, whose contributions remain vital to the state’s development.

Naija News reports that the absence of both the Alaafin and Soun may signal lingering tensions within the traditional council, likely linked to Makinde’s restructuring of its leadership.

Nonetheless, Makinde reaffirmed his commitment to inclusive governance, citizen empowerment, and innovation.

“This is not just a celebration of our past, but a reimagining of our future,” he said.

The week-long golden jubilee programme continues, featuring a public lecture, cultural exhibitions, and awards night, culminating in a grand finale on January 27.

Advertisement

latest

VIDEO: Peter Obi Declares Start To NDC Presidential Campaign.

Published

on

The Presidential Candidate of the Nigeria Democratic Congress (NDC), Peter Obi, has announced the commencement of his presidential campaign.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

The former Anambra State Governor stated that the NDC campaign will focus on major concerns of Nigerians and not on ethnicity or religion.

While insisting that he is entering the 2027 presidential race with the goal of finding solutions to the challenges facing Nigeria, Peter Obi said his decision to contest is driven by a desire to help tackle the problems.

The presidential candidate said he believes Nigeria can overcome its current challenges if the right steps are taken.

I consider myself to be among those contesting to address the challenges Nigeria is currently facing,” Obi said, adding that his campaign would be guided by one strong belief: “Nigeria must work.”

Continue Reading

latest

ATLETICO SECRETS REVEALED: Why Diego Simeone Handed Lookman The Striker’s Role For The Season Opener!.

Published

on

Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone has hinted that he may continue deploying forward Ademola Lookman in a central striker role following the Nigerian international’s impressive performance in the team’s recent 2-0 La Liga victory over Malaga.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

Simeone opted to play Lookman through the middle within a 5-4-1 tactical setup at the Metropolitano. The 28-year-old forward played the entire 90 minutes, registering two shots on target and forcing a sharp save from the Malaga goalkeeper.

The positional shift was primarily prompted by squad availability, with regular forwards Julián Álvarez unavailable and Alexander Sorloth sidelined due to an injury. Speaking to the media after the match, Simeone noted that Lookman’s adaptability provides valuable tactical flexibility while the club manages its current shortage of recognized strikers.

“Creativity. Trying to look for what can make us better because we do not have at this moment a forward who can give us something from the beginning because Julián was not called up and Sorloth because of his injury,” Simeone explained. “That position is important and we hope to be able to improve it.”

Lookman could maintain his central role when Atletico Madrid face Villarreal in their upcoming La Liga fixture.

Continue Reading

latest

BLAMING THE BOSS: Experts Insist Najomo Isn’t To Blame For Nigeria’s Aviation Woes!.

Published

on

The Coalition for Good Governance in Africa (CGGA) has commended the Director-General of the Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA), Capt. Chris Ona Najomo, for his leadership and ongoing efforts to strengthen regulatory standards within the sector.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

In a statement released on Friday by its president, Mohammed Kudu, the coalition asserted that it is unfair to hold the Director-General solely responsible for the broader challenges facing the industry. CGGA emphasized that resolving these issues requires collaborative efforts from regulators, airline operators, airport managers, and other key stakeholders across the aviation value chain.

Highlighting his extensive four-decade career in aviation, the group praised Najomo’s focus on safety oversight, consumer protection, and regulatory efficiency. They noted that the NCAA has made significant strides in boosting investor confidence, particularly through its commitment to enforcing the Cape Town Convention and the IDERA framework to reassure global lessors and financiers.

While acknowledging that stakeholders have a right to demand accountability, the coalition urged for constructive engagement rather than prolonged confrontation. Kudu concluded that achieving a thriving and sustainable aviation sector relies on sustained cooperation between the government, regulators, operators, and the traveling public.

Continue Reading

Trending