Connect with us

latest

Witness Tells Court How Victor Thompson Used Forged Licence To Scam US Investors.

Published

on

Fresh revelations emerged on Wednesday in the ongoing trial of Victor Ekpong Thompson as a prosecution witness narrated before the Federal High Court in Uyo how the defendant allegedly forged a mining licence and used it to secure over $525,000 from American investors.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

The matter, presided over by Justice Maurine Adaobi Onyetenu, involves allegations bordering on conspiracy, advance fee fraud, criminal breach of trust, misappropriation, and stealing.

Testifying as the second prosecution witness, Michael Eyo told the court that Thompson allegedly tricked him into releasing the original copy of his mining licence before secretly taking photographs of the document and presenting it to foreign investors as his own.

Eyo explained that he owns a mining site located in Biase Local Government Area of Cross River State.

According to him, “The fraudster asked me to bring the originals of my licence to verify the authenticity. Thereafter, he snapped the licence without my knowledge and used it to convince investors.”

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission alleged that Thompson defrauded Tammy Jensen, Kenneth Blad, Peter Jensen, and other foreign investors of $525,276 through supposed investments in mining operations and a Deep Sea Port project.

One of the charges before the court claimed that the defendant fraudulently obtained $123,030 from investors between January and June 2025 under the pretext of investing in mineral resources and a Deep Sea Port venture.

Thompson, who was arraigned on January 29, 2026, pleaded not guilty to the eight-count charge.

During proceedings, defence counsel Madu Uwem Amamko appealed for bail on medical grounds, but prosecuting counsel Joshua Abolarin opposed the request, arguing there was no proof that the defendant’s health condition posed any serious concern.

Following arguments from both parties, Justice Onyetenu adjourned ruling on the bail application until June 8, 2026.

Earlier in the trial, one of the alleged victims, Tammy Jensen, told the court she first met Thompson on Facebook in August 2022 after he introduced himself as a dealer in precious stones.

She alleged that Thompson persuaded her and other investors to finance a mining project under Arch Royale Projects Limited in Iwuru Community, Cross River State, before later introducing a Deep Sea Port investment in Akwa Ibom State with promises of massive returns.

Jensen further stated that between 2023 and 2025, investors transferred a combined sum of $525,276 into Thompson’s accounts through Wells Fargo Bank, Chase Bank, and WorldRemit.

Investigators said suspicion intensified after Jensen travelled to Nigeria in June 2025 and reportedly uncovered irregularities surrounding the projects.

The prosecution also alleged that a significant portion of the funds was diverted for personal use, with properties linked to Thompson including a duplex in Shelter Afrique Estate, Uyo, a Toyota Hilux, and a grey Lexus RX350.

Advertisement

latest

“FREE PASS TO 2027? Labour Party Sparks Outrage as Governor Otti Skips Screening Protocols Entirely!”

Published

on

The Labour Party (LP) has officially exempted Abia State Governor, Alex Otti, from its upcoming governorship screening process. Senator Nenadi Usman, the LP National Chairman and head of the screening committee, announced the decision during a press briefing on the evaluation of aspirants.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

Usman revealed that the party leadership purchased the nomination forms on Otti’s behalf, granting him an outright waiver. She explained that requiring a top leader and major pillar of the party to undergo screening would contradict standard political practices.

According to the leadership, the gesture honors Governor Otti’s exceptional performance and commitment to the party’s core values of social justice and equal opportunity. The LP chairman emphasized that the free forms and screening waiver serve as motivation for Otti to sustain his governance strides in Abia State.

Option 2: Punchy & Engaging (Digital Media Style)

No Screening, No Fees: How LP Cleared the Path for Governor Otti’s Re-election Campaign

Abia State Governor Alex Otti has secured a smooth path toward his second-term bid after the Labour Party (LP) exempted him from its mandatory screening exercise.

Speaking to reporters, LP National Chairman Senator Nenadi Usman confirmed that the party not only waived the screening process for Otti but also picked up the bill for his nomination forms. Usman defended the move, questioning why a foundational leader who nurtures the party should be subjected to routine screening.

The party described the decision as a reward for Otti’s stellar governance in Abia State, noting that his administration perfectly reflects the LP’s ideals. The leadership hopes this special recognition will inspire the governor to deliver even more democratic dividends to his people.

Option 3: Analytical & Detailed (Insightful Journalism Style)

2027: Labour Party Accords Governor Otti ‘VIP Treatment’ with Screening Exemption and Free Forms

In a strong show of solidarity, the Labour Party (LP) has given Abia State Governor, Alex Otti, a free pass in its governorship screening exercise ahead of his re-election bid.

Addressing journalists, the Chairman of the LP Screening Committee, Senator Nenadi Usman, stated that the party extended a full waiver to the governor. In addition to bypassing the screening, Otti received his nomination forms entirely free of charge, courtesy of the party’s leadership.

Usman justified the privilege by highlighting Otti’s status as the party’s foremost representative, arguing that screening a leader of his caliber is unnecessary. She commended his administration’s adherence to social justice, stating that the waiver acknowledges his governance achievements and reinforces the party’s support for his continuity in office.

Continue Reading

latest

Tension As ICPC Allegedly Denies ADC Leaders Access To El-Rufai In Custody.

Published

on

Leaders of the African Democratic Congress (ADC) have allegedly been denied access to former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, who is currently in the custody of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

The ADC delegation included the party’s National Secretary, Rauf Aregbesola, National Publicity Secretary, Bolaji Abdullahi, and Secretary of the ADC Manifesto and Policy Committee, Salihu Lukman.

The party leaders were said to have visited the ICPC facility in Abuja in an attempt to meet El-Rufai but were reportedly denied entry. Details surrounding the incident remain unclear as of Friday afternoon.

The development comes days after the ICPC dismissed claims that El-Rufai was being denied access to food, family members, and medical care while in detention.

At a press briefing, ICPC spokesperson Okor Odey described the allegations as “false and misleading.”

He explained that visitors are allowed into ICPC detention facilities between 9:00 a.m. and 6:30 p.m., noting that El-Rufai’s wife reportedly arrived outside approved visiting hours.

Odey also stated that authorised visitors, including family members, lawyers, and medical personnel, are granted access under supervision.

However, the El-Rufai family had earlier alleged that the former governor was denied access to his personal doctors despite a Kaduna High Court order granting him unrestricted access to legal and medical practitioners.

They further claimed that the ICPC’s in-house doctor had recommended further medical evaluation before access was allegedly restricted.

A family member said, “When you see a doctor and you run tests, you are expected to see the doctor back so that he explains what the problem is.”

El-Rufai’s second wife, Hasiat, also alleged, “He was denied access to the doctor.”

Continue Reading

latest

Osun Accord Chairman Demands Immediate Release Of Detained Party Member From Police Custody.

Published

on

The Chairman of the Accord Party in Osun State, Pastor Victor Akande, has appealed to the State Commissioner of Police to order the immediate release of a party supporter allegedly being held at the State Criminal Investigation Department (CID).....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

In a statement released on Friday, Akande alleged that the party member, identified as Owoeye Muyiwa, had been in custody for three days following an alleged directive linked to Senator Francis Fadahunsi through his police orderly.

According to him, Muyiwa, who is said to support Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke and is a member of the Accord Party, was reportedly arrested after placing a billboard of the governor within his family compound.

The party further alleged that the detention may be connected to Muyiwa’s alleged refusal to defect to the All Progressives Congress (APC), despite repeated pressure and invitations from Senator Fadahunsi.

Akande also claimed that attempts were made to link Muyiwa to the vandalisation of APC billboards in the area.

He noted that individuals allegedly brought forward to identify the suspect told investigators they did not see him vandalising any billboard, thereby clearing him of the accusation.

Despite this, the Accord chairman said Muyiwa has remained in custody at the State CID without any evidence directly tying him to a crime.

According to the statement, officers at the CID were said to have informed concerned persons that only the Commissioner of Police could approve his release.

Akande described the continued detention as intimidation and harassment allegedly targeted at Accord Party members and supporters in Ijesaland.

He therefore urged the Commissioner of Police to ensure Muyiwa’s immediate and unconditional release, insisting that no citizen should be detained for political reasons or for exercising their lawful rights.

He also called on the Inspector General of Police, the Owa Obokun Palace, and relevant democratic institutions within and outside Nigeria to take note of what he described as growing violations of citizens’ rights in Ijesaland.

Akande stressed that democracy must be protected and that citizens must be allowed to freely express their political choices without fear of intimidation or harassment.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2023 NIVONEWS