Connect with us

latest

INEC–SDP Talks Collapse As High-Stakes Meeting Ends In Deadlock.

Published

on

The leadership crisis in the Social Democratic Party (SDP) took a new turn on Monday after a closed-door meeting between the party’s National Working Committee (NWC) and officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) ended in deadlock.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

The two-hour meeting, held at INEC headquarters in Abuja, included SDP leaders, INEC Chairman Prof. Joash Amupitan, and several Resident Electoral Commissioners.

Speaking after the meeting, SDP National Chairman, Prof. Sadiq Gombe, said the party attended the engagement in respect of INEC and its alternative dispute resolution mechanism.

He maintained that the SDP has constitutional authority to manage its internal affairs, stressing that the meeting was both “fruitful and constructive,” despite failing to produce a final resolution.

Gombe expressed surprise over claims that INEC was not aware of earlier correspondence submitted by the party, insisting that all documents had been properly acknowledged and resubmitted during the session.

He further explained that the party’s National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting held on March 9 in Abuja had legally ratified the current leadership and approved the suspension and expulsion of former National Chairman, Shehu Gabam.

According to him, INEC was duly informed and represented at the meeting that took the decision, adding that Gabam ceased to be a member of the party following his expulsion and did not exhaust internal dispute resolution channels.

The SDP leadership also argued that the court judgment referenced in the matter was not related to the party’s national leadership dispute.

Gombe emphasised that the NEC remains the party’s highest administrative body responsible for day-to-day decisions, and its resolutions are binding on all members.

Meanwhile, INEC Chairman Prof. Amupitan declined to comment after the meeting ended.

Advertisement

latest

“If You Don’t Keep Quiet, I Will Start Talking” – Governor Yusuf Fires Warning Shot At Kwankwaso.

Published

on

Kano State Governor, Abba Yusuf, has issued a strong warning to former governor and NNPP leader, Rabiu Kwankwaso, cautioning him against further verbal attacks.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

Speaking to supporters in Kano, Yusuf expressed displeasure over recent comments made by his former political mentor, insisting that he would respond if provoked further.

The governor said Kwankwaso should be careful with his words, warning that continued criticism could lead him to reveal details the former presidential candidate might not be comfortable with.

His remarks come after Kwankwaso, in a recent interview, accused Yusuf and other close allies of political betrayal and vowed to defeat him in the 2027 governorship election.

Kwankwaso also expressed disappointment over what he described as a breakdown of trust, saying he never expected such actions from those he supported politically.

He further criticised some beneficiaries of his educational programmes, alleging that some later turned against the movement that sponsored them.

Responding, Yusuf questioned Kwankwaso’s tone, noting the age difference between them and saying he had so far remained restrained out of respect.

He added that while peace in Kano remains a priority, he would not hesitate to speak out if pushed further, warning against escalating political tension in the state.

Continue Reading

latest

Shock Claim: Bode George Says Politics Was Played With El-Rufai’s Bail Before Mother’s Death.

Published

on

Elder statesman and former Deputy National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Bode George, has called for the immediate release of former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, while urging that his bail conditions be relaxed.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

In a statement, George praised Justice Joyce Abdulmalik of the Federal High Court for granting El-Rufai bail but described the conditions attached to it as overly strict.

He said that although El-Rufai belongs to a different political party, he regards him as a son and holds him in high respect.

George stressed that Nigeria stands at a critical point between the rule of law and the rule of power, noting that bail is a constitutional right rooted in fairness and the presumption of innocence, not a privilege granted by authorities.

He expressed concern over what he described as political interference in El-Rufai’s case, alleging that his bail process had been politicised, especially around the period of his mother’s death, when he was temporarily released for burial.

He commended the court for granting bail but insisted that the conditions imposed should not become a barrier to his freedom.

According to him, justice must be applied fairly and without political bias or intimidation, warning that democracy cannot thrive where citizens are denied constitutional protections.

George also cautioned the judiciary, stating that history would judge not only court decisions but also the courage shown in defending justice.

He urged President Bola Tinubu and other leaders to uphold constitutional rights, stressing that true leadership is demonstrated by fairness, even to political opponents.

He added that no democracy survives when justice is selective, and called for strict adherence to due process and human rights.

The elder statesman maintained that continued detention under circumstances where bail has been granted undermines the spirit of the law, insisting that El-Rufai should be released without further delay.

El-Rufai is currently facing trial on charges including cybercrime, alleged breach of national security, corruption, and money laundering.

Continue Reading

latest

Fear In North-West As Seven Soldiers Reportedly Fall In Sokoto Attack.

Published

on

At least seven soldiers and a civilian were reportedly killed after suspected Lakurawa terrorists ambushed troops of Operation Fasan Yamma at Runji village in Illela Local Government Area of Sokoto State.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

The attack was said to have occurred on Saturday evening as the soldiers were returning from an earlier operation targeting a suspected terrorist hideout near a border community.

According to local sources, the troops had successfully raided the camp and were moving back with three military vehicles when one of the vehicles developed a fault along the way.

One source said the terrorists may have regrouped after the initial raid and tracked the soldiers in a retaliatory strike.

He explained that the attackers struck when the troops stopped to fix the faulty vehicle, leading to a heavy exchange of gunfire.

Another account claimed the soldiers were trekking back to base with the assistance of a local guide when they were ambushed.

The source alleged that seven soldiers and the civilian guide were killed during the attack.

Residents said six bodies were first recovered, while another soldier’s remains were later discovered in a nearby bush.

A senior military officer confirmed that casualties were recorded but dismissed unverified figures circulating in the media.

He stated that tactical reinforcements had been deployed to the area, while intelligence-led operations were ongoing to track down the attackers.

The officer added that the identities of fallen personnel would not be released until their families were officially informed, urging the public and media to avoid spreading unconfirmed casualty reports.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2023 NIVONEWS