Connect with us

latest

El-Rufai Received Intercepted NSA Conversation, Witness Confirms To Court.

Published

on

The trial of former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, over alleged treason and breach of national security continued on Monday at the Federal High Court in Abuja.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

During the resumed hearing, the prosecution presented materials it said supported claims that the former governor received an intercepted private conversation involving the National Security Adviser (NSA), Nuhu Ribadu.

The prosecution also played a 43-minute television interview in court, where El-Rufai was alleged to have stated that a wiretapped conversation involving the NSA was sent to him by an unidentified source.

In the interview, the former governor was also said to have defended the interception, suggesting that monitoring of communications is a common practice by governments.

Witness Testimony On NSA Conversation

A prosecution witness told the court that investigators verified the contents of the broadcast after it aired.

According to the witness, the National Security Adviser was questioned by investigators and verbally confirmed that the conversation referenced by El-Rufai did take place.

The witness said the discussion was between the NSA and the Chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).

He further told the court that the ICPC chairman also confirmed the conversation after relevant sections of the interview were shown to him.

The court heard that broadcaster Charles Aniagolu, activist-lawyer Deji Adeyanju, and a cameraman were invited for questioning during the investigation.

Aniagolu was said to have confirmed that El-Rufai admitted during the interview that the conversation had been intercepted and shared with him.

He also allegedly confirmed that El-Rufai maintained that surveillance by government agencies is a routine practice.

Statements obtained from Aniagolu and Adeyanju were tendered and admitted in evidence as Exhibits C, C1 and E without objection from the defence.

A statement from cameraman Ugochukwu Agalayana was also submitted and admitted as Exhibit D after he confirmed setting up equipment for the interview, though he said he did not follow the discussion.

The prosecution witness said investigators concluded that El-Rufai’s comments amounted to what they described as an “open confession” regarding interception of the NSA’s communication.

He added that the alleged act was considered a threat to national security, leading to the recommendation for prosecution.

A preliminary investigation report was also admitted in evidence as Exhibit F.

Cross-Examination And Defence Challenge

During cross-examination, El-Rufai’s counsel, Paul Erokoro, questioned the depth of the investigation.

The witness admitted that investigators did not examine any of the NSA’s communication devices.

He also confirmed that no IP address tracking or forensic analysis of the alleged interception was carried out.

However, he argued that such steps were unnecessary since the NSA had allegedly confirmed that the conversation took place.

The witness further agreed that El-Rufai did not explicitly claim he personally intercepted the call, but insisted the former governor maintained that the conversation was intercepted and passed to him.

When asked whether El-Rufai could have been exaggerating during a television interview, the witness said he considered the former governor “a person of integrity” and believed his statements were made in earnest.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik adjourned the matter to June 22 and 23 for continuation of hearing and the presentation of additional witnesses.

El-Rufai continues to face allegations of treason and breach of national security, which he is expected to challenge as proceedings continue.

Advertisement

latest

2027: I Didn’t Sleep Before Stepping Down For Hamzat – Samuel Ajose Opens Up.

Published

on

Lagos State governorship aspirant for the 2027 election, Samuel Ajose, has withdrawn from the race in support of Deputy Governor Obafemi Hamzat ahead of the All Progressives Congress (APC) primary election.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

News reports that Ajose announced his decision on Tuesday, describing it as a difficult choice after much personal reflection.

He said his withdrawal was aimed at promoting unity within the APC in Lagos State and ensuring political stability within the party.

Ajose explained that the decision followed deep consideration of what would best serve party members, stakeholders, and the broader interests of the APC in the state.

He said, “I know it’s a very tough decision. I didn’t sleep overnight too. I struggled with it. But when I woke up this morning I had my peace.

“So that’s why I said everything that everyone we will benefit, give it to the governors we’re still going to benefit. Because we have made sure we took care of the needs of everybody and I think it’s the best for you.

“In the interest of the party, I, Governor Samuel Ajose, have decided I will let go. I will support Governor Hamzat. We’re going to be part of the campaign and we’re going to take an important position in his campaign.”

His decision comes weeks after another Lagos governorship aspirant, Abdul-Azeez Adediran (popularly known as Jandor), also stepped down and endorsed Hamzat.

Jandor had earlier stated that his withdrawal followed the endorsement of Hamzat by President Bola Tinubu and key APC leaders in Lagos State.

Continue Reading

latest

Breaking: PDP Revises Timetable Ahead Of 2027 General Elections.

Published

on

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has announced a fresh amendment to its timetable for pre-nomination activities ahead of the 2027 general elections.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

In a statement issued on Tuesday and jointly signed by the party’s National Publicity Secretary, Ini Ememobong, and National Organising Secretary, Theophilus Dakas Shan, the PDP said the adjustment was necessitated by growing requests from aspirants and stakeholders.

The party explained that the revised timetable is final, stressing the need to align with the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) schedule. It urged all aspirants and party members to comply strictly with the updated dates.

Naija News reports that the PDP has fixed May 22, 2026, as the deadline for submission of completed nomination forms, while all primaries are scheduled for May 28, 2026.

According to the statement, the revised schedule includes key milestones such as special screening for previously unassessed aspirants, screening appeals, and the publication of cleared candidates.

The statement read in part: “Arising from the increasing demands from aspirants and other stakeholders, the Interim National Working Committee has approved a further and FINAL amendment to the timetable for pre-nomination activities as follows:

Last date for submission of completed forms – 22nd May, 2026
Special Screening (for those who have not been screened) – 23rd May, 2026
Screening Appeals
Publication of cleared aspirants – 25th May, 2026
Publication of cleared aspirants – 27th May, 2026
Primaries for all offices – 28th May, 2026

“All party members are advised to conform to this timetable as there would not be any further extension due to the need to meet up with the electoral umpire’s schedule.”

Continue Reading

latest

2027: Governor Abdulrazaq Endorses Abdulfatai Seriki For Kwara APC Guber Ticket.

Published

on

The Governor of Kwara State, Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq, has endorsed Ambassador Abdulfatai Yahaya Seriki as his preferred successor for the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship ticket ahead of the 2027 elections.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

News reports that the endorsement comes ahead of the APC governorship primaries scheduled for Thursday, May 21, 2026.

Governor Abdulrazaq said his decision followed extensive consultations with party leaders and stakeholders across the state.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, the governor described Amb. Yahaya Seriki as “young, pro-people, astute, and broad-minded,” adding that he is a “strong political mobiliser” with significant goodwill across Kwara State.

He said, “I have no doubt about his capacity and that his choice is appropriate for the people of our state at this time.”

The governor further explained that the endorsement was reached after wide-ranging internal discussions within the party.

However, he stressed that other aspirants remain free to contest the party’s ticket in the primaries.

He said the endorsement of Seriki should not be seen as an attempt to undermine other qualified contenders but rather as a choice made from a pool of strong aspirants.

“The choice of Amb. Yahaya Seriki is neither a disapproval of any of our eminently qualified aspirants nor a whimsical attempt to delegitimise the noble aspirations of our people. But in a race involving some 16 great minds for one office, only one person can take the shot at a time,” he said.

Abdulrazaq urged party members to support Seriki’s candidacy, saying it would promote unity, cohesion, and continued success for the APC in the state.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2023 NIVONEWS