Connect with us

latest

Court Orders Arrest Of Ex-Minister Sadiya Umar Farouq Over Alleged Fraud Probe.

Published

on

Justice Jude Onwuegbuzie of the Federal Capital Territory High Court on Thursday issued a warrant of arrest for former Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Sadiya Umar Farouq, and former Permanent Secretary, Bashir Nura Alkali, over their failure to appear in court.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

The duo were billed for arraignment before the Abuja court alongside Sani Nafiu Mohammed, who was the only defendant present in court.

They are facing a 21-count charge filed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission over alleged criminal breach of trust, abuse of office, fraudulent contract awards and diversion of public funds totaling $1.3 million and ₦746.57 million.

According to the anti-graft agency, the defendants allegedly diverted funds meant to be refunded to the Ministry under the National Social Safety Net Coordinating Office programme for personal use.

Lead prosecution counsel, Rotimi Jacobs, told the court that the charge had been filed since December 15, 2025, but the first and second defendants could not be produced despite efforts to serve them.

He said Farouq had earlier obtained the release of her passport in 2024 for a medical trip to Saudi Arabia but has neither returned the passport nor submitted any medical report to the commission.

Farouq’s lawyer, Abdul Ibrahim, blamed her absence on ill health and asked the court to give him six weeks to produce her, but the request was rejected.

Ruling on the matter, Justice Onwuegbuzie granted the EFCC’s request and ordered the immediate arrest of Farouq and Alkali.

The case was adjourned until May 18, 2026, for arraignment and trial.

Advertisement

latest

National Assembly Power Trio: Akpabio, Barau, Abbas Set For Possible Continuity.

Published

on

There are indications that Senate President Godswill Akpabio, Deputy Senate President Jibrin Barau, and Speaker of the House of Representatives Tajudeen Abbas may retain their leadership positions if they are re-elected into the 11th National Assembly.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

It was gathered that President Bola Tinubu has reportedly assured the presiding officers of continuity in their roles.

Sources who spoke to The Nation said this assurance influenced Speaker Abbas’s decision to withdraw from the Kaduna North senatorial race in favour of former Kaduna State Governor Ramalan Yero.

A Presidency source stated that the President is not planning any major changes to his key leadership team in the National Assembly.

According to the source, “The President has no plan to change his core team. These principal officers may retain their positions in the next Assembly.”

The source added that the Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives is excluded from the arrangement as he is reportedly preparing to contest for a governorship position.

He further advised aspiring lawmakers to engage in wide consultations before making political decisions about National Assembly seats.

Meanwhile, several senators across different political parties are also seeking re-election ahead of the 11th Assembly.

Those involved include lawmakers from the All Progressives Congress, African Democratic Congress, Labour Party, Nigeria Democratic Congress, and the Peoples Democratic Party.

Some of the notable names seeking return include Senators from Lagos, Gombe, Kebbi, Delta, Benue, Ekiti, Yobe, and Borno States.

Continue Reading

latest

Tragedy In Niger: 12 Civilians Feared Dead After Military Airstrike Hits Community.

Published

on

Several civilians were reportedly killed after a military airstrike struck Guradnayi, a community near Kusasu in Shiroro Local Government Area of Niger State.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

According to reports, the incident occurred in the early hours of Sunday as residents were fleeing attacks by armed men operating in the area.

Witnesses said at least 12 people died in a single household, while several others affected were said to be residents of Kusasu who had escaped from terrorist threats.

A local resident, Auta Awododo, disclosed that the airstrike happened around 5 a.m., adding that one of the victims was his cousin’s son.

Residents said fear spread across the area after armed men riding motorcycles reportedly moved through the community while being pursued by military aircraft.

According to eyewitness accounts, the first bomb reportedly landed near the river in Kusasu, while a second strike hit Guradnayi.

As of the time of reporting, the Nigerian Air Force had not released an official statement regarding the incident, and enquiries about the reported civilian casualties had yet to receive a response.

The incident has intensified concerns among residents over military operations in Shiroro, a region frequently affected by attacks from armed groups.

Locals also alleged that previous airstrikes in the area had similarly resulted in civilian casualties, with concerns that such incidents were not thoroughly investigated.

Security sources reportedly confirmed that the armed group being tracked had moved from Kusasu into neighbouring Munya Local Government Area and remained active around Kabula near Kuchi.

Although there were no immediate confirmed reports of fresh abductions or killings, sources said the armed men had allegedly rustled cattle from several communities in Munya.

The reported airstrike has further heightened fear among residents of Shiroro and surrounding communities, many of whom have already been displaced by recurring insecurity.

Community members have called on military authorities to investigate the incident, identify those affected, and clarify the circumstances that led to the reported civilian deaths.

They also urged stronger coordination in security operations to ensure that efforts to combat armed groups do not result in further civilian casualties.

Continue Reading

latest

Relief In Abuja As Missing Lawyer And NYSC Member Are Found After Four Days.

Published

on

The Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Police Command has confirmed that Linda Ameh, the missing National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) member and legal practitioner, has been found in Abuja.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

According to the police, Ameh, who was reported missing on May 6, personally appeared at the Maitama Police Station to provide details about her disappearance.

The development was disclosed in a statement released on Sunday by the FCT Police Public Relations Officer, Josephine Adeh.

Adeh stated that investigations are ongoing to track down and arrest those responsible for the incident.

According to the statement, Ameh is currently assisting law enforcement authorities with valuable information that could support ongoing investigations and help identify the perpetrators.

While confirming her return, the police did not reveal where she was located or the specific circumstances surrounding her reappearance.

Authorities also did not immediately confirm whether any ransom was paid before her release.

Earlier reports indicated that suspected abductors had contacted her family and allegedly demanded ₦20 million for her freedom, heightening fears over her safety.

Ameh reportedly went missing on Tuesday, May 6, after finishing work at Blades and Butchers Ltd in Maitama, Abuja, around 5:40 p.m., while on her way home to Life Camp.

Her phone lines reportedly became unreachable shortly afterward, prompting concern from family members who were unable to contact her.

Her disappearance was subsequently reported to the Maitama Division of the FCT Police Command as well as the NYSC authorities.

She had recently started a role as a Sales Manager and was said to be nearing the completion of her NYSC service year, including her final Community Development Service obligations.

The case drew widespread public concern after reports emerged that her suspected abductors had made ransom demands.

With Ameh now found, police say their priority is focused on uncovering the full details of the incident and bringing those responsible to justice.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2023 NIVONEWS