Connect with us

latest

‘Army Must Admit There Was A Coup Plot Against Tinubu’ – Falana

Published

on

Human rights lawyer Femi Falana (SAN) has criticised the Nigerian military for its handling of the recent announcement that some officers will face arraignment over an alleged plot to overthrow the government.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

Falana said the latest disclosure sharply contradicts the military’s earlier position and amounts to misleading Nigerians.

Story continues below advertisement

The senior advocate made the remarks on Tuesday while speaking on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily, following the military’s announcement a day earlier that certain personnel would face a military judicial panel over alleged coup-related activities.

Recall that in October 2025, the Defence Headquarters announced the arrest of 16 officers for alleged breaches of service regulations, while firmly denying reports of any coup plot. It also insisted that the cancellation of the 2025 Independence Day parade had no link to such allegations.

Reacting, Falana said the military owed Nigerians an apology, stressing that public authorities must treat citizens with respect and honesty.

Story continues below advertisement

“The military authorities ought to have apologised to Nigerians. People in authority must learn to take us seriously as a people,” he said.

He further faulted what he described as poor transparency and accountability in the military’s communication with the public.

“If a statement was made three months ago denying a coup plot, and investigations later revealed that the issue went beyond mere indiscipline, the right thing would have been to apologise to Nigerians,” Falana added.

Story continues below advertisement

Falana also questioned plans to subject the suspects to a court martial, arguing that offences bordering on treason fall under the jurisdiction of regular civil courts.

“A court martial would have been appropriate if it was simply a matter of indiscipline. But if it involves a coup plot, then only a Federal or State High Court has the authority to try offences such as treason or treasonable felony,” he said.

He urged the military to strictly observe due process and ensure that the fundamental rights of the accused officers are fully protected.

Advertisement

latest

Mourinho Backs Mbappé, Vinicius, Bellingham To Shine Together At Real Madrid.

Published

on

New Real Madrid coach José Mourinho has expressed confidence that Kylian Mbappé, Vinicius Junior, and Jude Bellingham can successfully coexist and shine together as Los Blancos gear up for their La Liga opener away against Espanyol.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

Key Takeaways from Mourinho’s Press Conference

  • Tactical Balance: Mourinho acknowledged the tactical puzzle of getting the best out of the star trio, noting how other managers have found specific setups for them individually. However, he emphasized that they do not play in incompatible positions and wants them all to feel comfortable on the pitch.

  • Defensive Commitment: The 63-year-old manager issued a firm warning to his squad regarding defensive responsibilities, stating, “We have to defend with 11 players.”

  • Managing Squad Friction: Addressing potential frustration regarding starting spots, Mourinho welcomed the healthy competition, noting that hard decisions are necessary and players must learn to navigate rotation.

  • Dressing Room Harmony: Mourinho put to rest any lingering concerns regarding past dressing room friction—specifically a previous reported incident between Aurélien Tchouaméni and Fede Valverde—noting he found complete normality and friendship upon his return.

  • Positive Adrenaline: As he prepares for his second debut at the Santiago Bernabéu following his initial stint from 2010 to 2013, Mourinho described his emotions ahead of Saturday’s 8:30 p.m. kickoff as positive adrenaline rather than pressure.

Continue Reading

latest

INEC Unveils Timetable For Bauchi September By-Elections.

Published

on

The vacancies in two state constituencies of Sakwa in the Zaki Local Government Area and Disina in the Shira Local Government Area of Bauchi State are up for grabs on Saturday, September 19, 2026.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) unveiled the poll’s schedule at a stakeholders’ meeting of the Inter-Agency Consultative Committee on Electoral Security and representatives of political parties on Friday.

The Resident Electoral Commissioner (REC), Umar Ibrahim, urged stakeholders to maintain their collaboration with the Commission in order to ensure a safe and secure environment for voters, candidates, election officials, election materials, party agents, and other involved parties.

The REC outlined the schedule of activities, starting with the announcement of the Notice of Election on August 20, 2026, in the relevant constituencies.

Key activities include the organization of party primaries and the resolution of any disputes that may arise from them, taking place between August 21 and 25, 2026. Campaigning is set to begin on September 9 and conclude on September 17, 2026, Naija News understands.

“I urge all political parties and their candidates to take particular note of these timelines and ensure strict compliance with the applicable law and the Commission’s timetable,” Ibrahim said.

Assuring the electorate of the Commission’s commitment to a credible process, the REC said, “The Commission remains committed to conducting free, fair, credible, transparent and peaceful by-elections in the Sakwa and Disina State Constituencies. This objective, however, can only be achieved through the collective commitment of all stakeholders.”

Also speaking at the meeting, the Bauchi State Commissioner of Police (CP), Sani-Omolori Aliyu, pledged the cooperation of the police with other security agencies to ensure peaceful elections.

The CP assured political parties and other stakeholders that an assessment would be conducted to help security agencies identify potential threats and respond to emerging security challenges before and during the elections.

He urged stakeholders to also cooperate with sister security agencies and to avoid actions that could disrupt the electoral process.

Continue Reading

entertainment

SHOCKING REVELATION: Veteran Actress Shaffy Bello Unveils Her Strict Rule When Kids Call Her By Name!.

Published

on

Nollywood actress Shaffy Bello has added her voice to the ongoing social discourse surrounding respect and generational etiquette, drawing from a recent viral exchange involving UBA Chairman Tony Elumelu.....KINDLY READ THE FULL STORY HERE▶

The veteran thespian made it clear that she strongly disapproves of younger individuals dropping titles and referring to their elders by their first names.

Key Highlights of Her Stance

  • Strict Boundaries: Speaking on a recent podcast, Bello shared that when a child calls her by her first name, she pulls them close to let them know they have not earned the right to do so.

  • Generational Respect: The actress argued that titles like “Ma’am” or respectful prefixes are essential markers of respect, expressing her aversion to overly casual greetings like “Hi” from younger people.

  • Universal Standard: Bello emphasized that cultural upbringing and respect should transcend borders, noting that even children abroad understand the importance of addressing older adults respectfully.

Continue Reading

Trending